Friday, February 23, 2007

CJRLC Tech Challenge

Central Jersey Regional Library's Tech Challenge is a an easy and painless way to bring a lot of librarians into the web 2.0 fold.
I have to admit that I wasn't particularly thrilled about starting my own blog. I'm busy in my own library and I don't always have time to post. But lately, I've been feeling like I have a lot to say. So this tech challenge is a great excuse for me to get it all out there.
I won't be blogging exclsuively on traditional library issues. Sure, there will be posts on books, programs, and library issues. But I'm sure other subjects will come up that I'll feel the need to weigh in on.

The Tech Challenge Tasks:
1. Create a blog.
2. Flickr account AND check out Moo Print, where you can use pics from your Flickr account for really cool business cards that you will LOVE (and hate) to give out!
3. Subscribe to an aggregator. I subscribed to Bloglines in the summer after the CJRLC meeting on Web 2.0. It has been so helpful in keeping track of what everyone else is talking about! And not just library related blogs . . . I've also subscribed to some teen and tech ones, in an effort to continue to bring non-traditional library topics and concepts into our libraries!
4. Read about web 2.0 and library 2.0. There will be a separate post on this!
5. Learn to use . . . LIBRARY THING! How fun! I started working on this in December. And I love the idea of it. Of course, I haven't had a chance to add everything. But I have added to my ever-growing list of books to read.
6. Teach someone to use one of these technologies. Just today I was talking to my staff about YouTube and showing them videos. And I'm planning on teaching the teens in my library about podcasting and blogging before the summer, giving them the summer "assignment" of creating a 'zine.

No comments: